As the weather gets warmer, you are probably feeling motivated to get your home and yard in good shape: toss out all the junk that might have collected over the past few months, and prepare the interior and exterior for the long, hot days to come. Don’t leave your summer preparations for summer. Spring is the perfect time to do what needs to be done – they call it spring cleaning for a reason, after all! Here are some tips to help with getting ready for summer.
Make space for summer items and throw out winter junk – get a dumpster
What better way to start your summer preparation than with a proper spring clean? Throw out all the junk that always seems to collect during the winter. Why not go even further and take the opportunity to clear out household bric-a-brac that has been accumulating for years? Go through the garage, attic and basement and get rid of what you don’t need. To make the task easier, you can always consider a dumpster rental. This easy and affordable solution gives you a place to dump all the trash as you go through your house. Then, once the job is done, we come and haul the dumpster away.
Prepare your garden
Gardens take a lot of abuse from the weather during the cold months. Now you can take the time to pamper and preen those flowerbeds and lawns with new plants and fresh fertilizer. The yard will also need a good cleaning, so get out the rake and start gathering up the leaves that have been collecting since the fall. A dumpster will help you with this cleanout operation too.
Summerize your HVAC system
Steer clear of any AC issues this summer by inspecting and preparing it during the change of seasons. Here is a checklist of tasks you can perform to make your system ready for the rising temperatures:
- Check and clean the filters. Replace them if necessary.
- Check for clogged and dirty vents and clean them as necessary.
- Schedule an annual professional inspection and tune-up.
- Ensure that the outdoor parts of the HVAC system are clear of dirt and debris. Check for leaves, branches and overgrown shrubbery during your yard cleanout.
- Maximize efficiency with good window coverings, shades and insulation. Ceiling and standing fans can also help your system work optimally.
Prepare the water pipes for summer
Don’t forget to ensure that your plumbing is ready for the summer too. Your water usage is likely to increase, and there is a strong possibility that there has been increased wear and tear on the pipes during the icy months.
- Inspect the faucets and under-sink pipes for any signs of leakage and other problems.
- Check that your toilets are not leaking.
- Watch out for sweating pipes and insulate them to prevent wasting water.
- Check the supply hoses on your washing machine.
- Clean the sump pump.
- Inspect your sprinkler system and remove any obstructions.
Summerize the windows and doors
Your windows and doors play an important role in keeping the house cool during the summer. Ensuring that they all seal properly, thus increasing the efficiency of your HVAC system. You can also control the amount of light windows allow into the home by mounting awnings over them, or planting trees and shrubs in strategic positions. Inspect your blinds and drapes, making sure that they are clean and in good condition.
Let Junk Boss assist you with getting ready for summer. We offer an easy, affordable and flexible junk removal service, as well as dumpster rentals to help you get rid of winter junk and debris quickly and efficiently.