Fridges cannot simply be thrown out. Proper refrigerator disposal is important. You can get in a lot of trouble if you don’t dispose of a refrigerator properly. Apart from the laws regarding dumping, you can risk injury to yourself if you plan on moving a refrigerator yourself. How to get rid of an old refrigerator? Here is everything you need to know about refrigerator disposal.
How Do I Get Rid of My Old Refrigerator?
Is it time to toss out the old fridge? It’s best to call the professionals when it comes to old refrigerator removal. It is not a simple item to throw out. Apart from its heavy weight, it can be quite bulky, which means you can risk damaging items in your home (or office) if it is not removed properly.
Removal of refrigerator or donation of a refrigerator? Disposal is necessary when your old fridge stops working. If your old fridge is still working properly, you may consider donating it to someone who needs it. Give it to friends or family, or drop it off at a charity. Here’s how to tell if your fridge needs to be disposed of:
- Check the temperature setting. A low temperature indicates that it may be working correctly, while a high could mean it is time to toss it out.
- Can you hear a motor sound behind your fridge? Although this is a good sign of a working fridge, the temperature of your fridge needs to be cool. If you hear a noise and the temperature is warm, this could mean your compressor is broken.
- Can you see a lot of frost buildup? Your refrigerator coils may be broken.
Can You Recycle a Refrigerator?
Refrigerator recycling is possible but only through an expert who can properly break down the parts to be recycled. Refrigerators can’t be thrown in dumpsters. They contain chemicals that are dangerous and need to be properly disposed of. Fridge parts are removed and disposed of separately at recycling centers.
If you need to have a refrigerator recycled, a junk removal company is your best shot. Most junk removal companies recycle appliances where possible and properly dispose of parts. When you choose the Junk Boss team, we can assess whether your refrigerator can be recycled, and if not, we will make sure it is properly disposed of.
How Do I Get My Old Fridge Ready for Disposal?
If you decide on refrigerator removal, there are some steps you need to take to ensure your refrigerator is ready for disposal. Whether you are using a junk removal team or you are disposing of your refrigerator alone, these steps need to be taken before you dispose of a fridge.
- First, you need to unplug your fridge. Don’t just turn it off at the power supply. It needs to be completely unplugged from its switch to ensure you won’t risk any injury.
- After you unplug your refrigerator, the evaporator will begin to defrost. Get hold of towels or paper as it can get messy while it is defrosting.
- You need to remove all foods from your fridge. Hopefully, you have another fridge on standby by now or you can keep perishable goods away in a freezer or cooler while you wait for your new fridge to arrive.
- You need to tape down or remove shelves and compartments. It can hurt someone or pose a hazard if it falls out during its move.
Refrigeration removal is not easy. The most important step is to get help with moving your heavy refrigerator. Luckily, the Junk Boss team can easily dispose of your old refrigerator for you. We offer junk removal services for all your old appliances including old refrigerator pick-up services. Our team will do the heavy lifting for you and properly dispose of your fridge.
Find out more about refrigerator disposal by contacting our team today!